Monday, July 25, 2016

Worn and Weathered


I'd like to think it was owned by just one child... who loved the stuffing right out of the seat cushion. One pair of hands that hung on to the handle bars so tight that the contoured finger grips were diminished right down to bare metal.

How many miles has it clocked? How many revolutions of the pedal? How many trips around the world? Or... the neighbourhood. It was one child's whole world.

Did it have streamers? A polished silver bell? That soft blue metal frame... I hope it was always that colour.. just maybe not as bruised with rust as it is now. So many war wounds... too many playground battles... a hundred secret stories.

It's a velveteen rabbit, of sorts. Abandoned by the roadside... left for dead. But it fell into the right hands... the hands of a girl with child's poems in her pockets. Its fate, undetermined. But, I think it has a few more road trips ahead... it just might have to take the slow lane.

3 comments:

  1. oh my! i love it (if it ever comes up missing, i plead innocent of the theft, but oh my!) and i love your possibilities for its past life. this is beautiful - words and picture. "with child's poems in her pockets . . ." love, love, love. love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello my friend! Such a dreamy photo. Your words move me as always. I hope summer is treating you well and that you are enjoying all it has to offer. Sending you good thoughts and much love. xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an ethereal post. I just loved it!xxx

    ReplyDelete